1. Scotland's total area is 79,000km compared to Australia's 7,600,000km.
2. Length of Scotland's coastline 12,000km, Australia's 25,000km.
3. The highest village in Scotland, Wanlockhead (432m), is not in the Highlands.
4. Everyday since 1861 the 1 o'clock gun has been fired from Edinburgh Castle.
5. Edinburgh's Royal Botanic Gardens has the largest collection of Rhododendrons in the world.
6. There is no documented proof that John Knox ever actually lived in John Knox's house.
7. Glasgow has more parks than any other British city.
8. There is 1 parking attendant for every 3 residents in the city of Edinburgh.
9. Edinburgh was the first city in the world to have its own fire brigade.
10. The official animal of Scotland is the Unicorn, impressive, considering the Unicorn is not an animal!
11. The CO2 emissions of Edinburgh's tram system is an incredible 0g/km, the first in the world to achieve such environmental efficiency.
Below, the 'Bridge over the Atlantic' connecting mainland Scotland with the Isle of Seil was built in 1791. The purple flower that grows on the bridge is commonly referred to as Fairy Foxglove, but the locals prefer to use its Latin name, Erinus Alpinus.